Ocular Emergency Clinic, Bradford, ON
Call now to schedule an appointment at our ocular emergency clinic, open 10am to 1pm on weekdays.
At Dr. Miller & Dr. Tilis Family Optometry, we understand that in the case of an ocular emergency, you need to be seen as soon as possible. This is why we see emergency patients from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm weekdays at our ocular emergency clinic. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, you must call ahead for an appointment, but we promise to get you in as soon as possible!
There are a number of conditions for which you should consider visiting our ocular emergency clinic right away, including:
• Flashing Lights – If you notice flashing lights in your vision, this is not a normal situation, and you should be seen as soon as possible.
• Floaters – While most floaters are not an ocular emergency, if you see a large number of them or they are accompanied by flashing lights, then come see us right away.
• Sudden Vision Changes – If you suddenly experience a curtain-like shadow blocking vision, blurred vision, partial or full loss of vision or visual field, distortion, double vision or light sensitivity, this is an ocular emergency.
• Pain – If you experience pain and/or discharge from your eyes, you may have a foreign body in your eye, infection or a severe allergy affecting your eye. Don’t rub your eyes or try other methods to resolve the problem, as you could cause more damage, such as a corneal abrasion.
• Damage – If you have received an injury to your eye such as blunt force trauma, chemical burn or trauma causing hemorrhages, you should have your eyes looked at as soon as possible.
• Irritations– Even some minor irritations can be such that you would prefer not to wait to see an optometrist. Such examples would be styes, ingrown eye lashes, eye lid skin lesions, red eyes, and excess tear production.
We encourage our neighbours in Bradford, ON to take advantage of our ocular emergency clinic. If your situation requires surgical assessment, we will arrange an appointment with an ophthalmologist as quickly as possible. We will also send a report to your family physician within 24 hours, so it can be made a part of your medical record with them. Don’t wait when you have any of these ocular emergencies! Your eyesight is far too precious to take a chance with.
OCULAR EMERGENCY APPOINTMENTS
10:00 am – 1:00 pm Weekdays
Emergency patients will be seen as soon as possible, and a report will be sent to the family physician within 24 hours. Any required referrals to an ophthalmologist will be arranged as quickly as possible by our office. Not all emergency examinations and procedures are covered by OHIP and fees for services and treatment will be determined at the appointment. Our office provides direct billing to most insurance carriers so please bring your supplemental insurance information with you. If you have an ocular emergency, please call our office and speak with our staff to be accommodated as quickly as possible.
Below is a list of ocular emergencies that should be assessed urgently. This list is not exhaustive and if you have any concerns about your vision or how your eyes feel please let us know.